Welcome to this page on healing from child abuse. Here you will find a range of resources to help yourself or others to heal from painful beginnings to life. I will keep adding to this page regularly, so check back from time to time to see what’s new. I hope you find it helpful.
The healing journey
The impacts of child abuse
- What is child abuse and how common is it?
- Childhood trauma leads to brains wired for fear
- Impacts of lack of nurturing and stress on the brain
Depression is very common and nothing to be ashamed of. There is much you can do to support yourself as you rest, strengthen and heal. Below is some information to assist you with this.
Overcoming fear and anxiety
Fear and anxiety are common if you have suffered from a painful beginning. Your body has all the buried emotions and trauma inside and this shows up as fear and anxiety. Your nervous system is locked in fight, flight or freeze, making it difficult for you to relax and enjoy life. To heal you need to transform the emotional pain, release the trauma and calm your nervous system. Thankfully I can show you how to do this.
Overcoming emotional abuse
Overcoming childhood sexual abuse
- Overview of techniques for emotional release
- Art therapy as a tool for healing
- How do I stop reacting from the past?
- How to overcome disappointment with your life?
- How to be free of the past and enjoy life?
- How to forgive those who hurt you?
- How to stop expecting the worst to occur?
- How to stop making yourself wrong?
- Why is the urge to fix others so strong?
- How to love yourself fully?
- Addictions – why they occur and how to resolve them
- Personal bill of rights
Healing Support Services
There are a wide range of government and non-government organisations that offer free support for those that have experienced child abuse. Please reach out and get the support you need. The below are links to services in Australia, but similar services will be available in many countries. Check with your Doctor/GP to find out details of what is available in your area or google ‘Help Lines’ and your country.
- National Centre of Excellence for Complex Trauma (Blue Knot Foundation): Helpline 1300 657 380
- National Sexual Assault, Domestic Family Violence, Counselling Service (1800RESPECT): Helpline 1800 737 732
- Beyond Blue: Helpline 1300 224 636
- Headspace (12-25 yrs): Helpline 1800 650 890
- Kids Help line: 1800 551 800
Jodi-Anne’s book on healing from child abuse
In 2011 Jodi-Anne published a book about her healing journey. She explained the process of healing from child abuse using examples from throughout her life. There are many stages to work through and much that has to be learned so that you can release conditioning, create effective boundaries, and have healthy relationships with yourself and others. It takes time and effort to change negative self-beliefs and release buried emotions and trauma. Doing this helps your body to transition from fight or flight into peace and harmony.
The book contains her story but also advice on self help techniques you can use to support yourself on your journey. It also contains appendices showing how she used art and dream analysis as healing tools. Jodi-Anne recommends these techniques to all as they are very powerful.
It is her hope that this book helps others to progress more quickly along their healing journey, that through her sharing they understand the process and feel inspired to take action. You truly can break free of the past. It is possible and it is so worth it!